July 10th, 2011

us soccer


Lousy refereeing. Really lousy refereeing... Game-changing lousy. At least it ended up making the game interesting and not worse.

And I have trouble respecting Brazil's women's team after that performance. But then, Brazil's men's team never got by on teamwork, either, they've always done it with individual skill and flair. But really... Not classy.

[ Crossposted from http://doubt72.dreamwidth.org/3006.html ]
head shot


For no apparent reason, I've decided to write a game. Possibly because I've gotten tired of playing them for now. Possibly because I had the urge to play the kind of 4X space game nobody really makes anymore, or if they do, aren't quite the sort of game I want to play.

So, I grabbed Xcode 4. Because, well, despite spending several years developing on Windows, I really hated it as a development environment. And I don't currently have a Linux box. And (apart from actually playing games, for which I have a dedicated Windows box) I spend most of my time in OS X (both at home, and at work where we mostly use Macs for development). I also installed trac. And subversion. And got a book on Cocoa programming with Objective-C and Xcode. Having gotten started, it actually seems to be a pretty nice framework to work with -- I like it so far (getting trac and subversion working... Well, that was more of an ordeal). Although, if I have any illusions of being able to port this later, I'd be better off with a C++ model layer. I guess I'll have to think about that.

Whether I'll stick with this game writing thing... I don't know. I've never finished a project this large (although I did get pretty far with the whole Japanese drill tools thing before I decided to just use Anki -- I don't know how many hours I actually put into that, but a lot. Almost certainly thousands). But then, I've never been this organized, either -- I mean, with a ticket tracking system and revision control and everything. Keeping game concepts organized in tickets might actually work.

I guess we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm totally using this as my temporary logo.

Anyway, while I was at it, I installed rvm, git, emacs, ruby 1.9.2 and rails 3.0 -- I figured I could use some of the same tools I'm using for the game to work on CalTrackr (especially trac -- I created a bunch of tickets instead of the old "notes in a text file" method I was using before. What I haven't decided -- yet -- is whether or not I'll switch from git to subversion there). Besides, I wanted to move all that off my old Windows box -- I don't use that box for much anymore, and it's getting due for retirement. I've already made some fixes/enhancements, but as of this writing, I haven't rolled any of the changes out, but I will when I finish things up at some point -- there's one date-related bug that will be much easier to fix at the beginning of next month.

But, back to the game thing, I'm finding that the hardest part is actually coming up with a decent name. The art and stuff I feel like I can handle myself -- I'm not going for fancy, I'm going for clean.

[ Crossposted from http://doubt72.dreamwidth.org/3251.html ]